Friday, May 23, 2008

The adventures of flax seed, and the need to preserver!



So the other day I made some awesome blueberry flaxseed muffins…I tweaked a recipe I found on line, and oh my, I was in heaven. Few hours later I was in hell. My mouth swelled up and tingled then it felt sore. My gums roof of mouth and tongue hurt, tender to the touch. I could not eat dinner that night due to the pain. It did not help that I thought I was dying.

So I did the sane thing and goggled my symptoms on line. (No way would I drop 100 bucks at the emergency room, and that is with “good” insurance) I figured as long as I could talk and breath I was doing ok. Turns out what I was experiencing was an allergic reaction…..The only thing I ate differently that day was flax seed meal and this was my first time eating flax. It took three days for my mouth to heal, and as I speak my tongue seeks out the only sensitive “sore” area left. The top left side of my mouth. Yes my body is odd. I am allergic to chamomile tea as well (makes the room spins in a unfunny way) So much for trying new foods. Ahhh who am I kidding…I will be experimenting with new foods as soon as I forget my mouth swelled 

On that note I decided to make coconut muffin with almond flour ( I know I am not allergic to almonds!!!) I got the recipe from Linda low carb page here:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/coconut_macaroon_muffins.html

Linda’s friend Nancy came up with this recipe and I used this recipe and tweaked it a lil.

Here is full recipe:

NANCY'S COCONUT MACAROON MUFFINS
4 ounces almond flour, 1 cup
1/2 cup golden flax meal, 2 ounces *
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 batch Angel Coconut **
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 eggs
In a small bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, coconut and granular Splenda, if using. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in the liquid Splenda, if using, the extracts and cream. Add the dry ingredients and the eggs to the butter mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them. I sprayed the paper liners with cooking spray just to be sure that they wouldn't stick. They will be full, but the muffins don't raise much. Bake at 350º 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes on a rack before removing from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen
* You can use regular flax meal, but the muffins won't look as pretty. Also, golden flax meal has a milder flavor that won't overpower the delicate flavor of the coconut.
** I made mine with coconut Da Vinci syrup instead of the water and sweetener and I used 2 tablespoons syrup. You can use plain unsweetened coconut, but the muffins won't turn out as moist.
TIP: You can mix the dry ingredients ahead of time and store them in a zipper bag in the freezer until you're ready to make the muffins. Put the angel coconut in a separate small zipper bag. Be sure to label the bags and bring the muffin mix and coconut to room temperature before using.
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 302 Calories; 25g Fat; 9g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 286 Calories; 25g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs


I obviously did not use flax seed meal. I used oat flour and yes it makes it slightly higher in carb count. I also made my own almond flour, cheaper and yummier this way. I also added a tablespoon more of cream and a tablespoon of vanilla extract, also a tad bit more butter. On a side note I love my Vanilla extract, a friend of mine that went to Mexico picked it up for me, and it is all natural and the flavor is amazing. I did not add the coconut extract because I did not have any.

So those adventurous or just plain hungry souls out there…I highly recommend this recipe. Give it a try…..if you are a coconut fan I know you will love this.

1 comments:

iheartchocolate said...

Oh send some please!

Flax seed allergery huh? I have never used it, so I just wouldn't know what it does to me, but I am sorry it was a no go for you.